Sunday, November 22, 2009

HeroClix Returns!

For those of you who don't know, HeroClix is a collectible miniatures game that was released by WizKids (which arose out of the ashes of defunct RPG company FASA).  WizKids actually revolutionized miniatures gaming with Mage Knight by making the hobby cheaper, easier to collect, and more accessible to those who don't have thousands of dollars to blow on a miniature army (just ask anyone who plays Warhammer 40,000).  HeroClix was based on comic book superheroes and had figures from many of the major comics of the day.  Primarily, they're divided by Marvel and DC lineups, but there was one series where they did figures from more independent comic companies, such as Top Cow, AD 2000 (the guys who made Judge Dredd), and even Dark Horse's HellboyHeroClix quickly became one of the top miniatures games, easily outlasting any other product line that WizKids created.

I started collecting HeroClix not long after the game debuted.  I've got a decent collection.  I haven't been able to consistently collect them, so I have completely missed out on certain sets.  I have played in a few tournaments, but I can't find any of my friends who collects them or even shows the slightest interest in playing (something's wrong with these people).

WizKids was bought by Topps in 2003, but Topps had to shut down the company last year due to financial troubles.  For a year, HeroClix fans have been clamoring for someone to purchase the company and to bring back the popular game.  Some have tried and failed, but a collectible toy company, NECA, did actually buy WizKids from Topps and immediately set on finishing the last HeroClix expansion that was left unfinished after the close:  Hammer of Thor.

The new packs are in stores as I speak and I couldn't be any happier.  I picked up a pack to celebrate (if I had a better cash flow, I would have picked up more).  What I like about this set the most is that there are lots of Asgardian figures, which makes them great for adding into any sword and sorcery RPG (such as, say, Legends of Steel).  I would love to get back into playing in tournaments again, but I'm not sure if the new WizKids has anything organized yet.  They do have a new website, but all that's there right now is info on the Hammer of Thor expansion, including an awesome database for every figure in the set.  I'm sure the site will grow bigger in the coming months.

All I can say right now is that I'm so fucking happpy to have HeroClix back.

Kaiser out

No comments:

Post a Comment