Monday, October 26, 2009

The Eerie Sounds From Kaiser Crowbar's Crypt of Doom

 When playing a good horror board game or RPG (I have only mentioned a few that are available, and I'm saving the best for last), having a haunting soundtrack in the background does a lot to set up the mood.  I like using music when I run RPGs.  I did it a lot when I ran Mage: The Ascension, and I planned on implementing it in a Rippers campaign I was starting (It fell to the wayside after two sessions because everyone wants to run one game or another in my group).  Last October, I came across these cds that I found to be perfect for background music for the game.

There's a duo of musicians that go by Nox Arcanum, and they release atmospheric horror music.  Each of their albums have a certain theme to them.  There's one dedicated to the works of Edgar Allan Poe, one about Dracula, one about the Cthulhu mythos, there's even one about a depraved insane asylum.  This music doesn't seem to be the kind of stuff you'd listen to on the drive to work, but it does what it's supposed to do and does it well.  The artwork on each of the albums is also really good.  If you're looking for something to liven up a horror RPG, board game, Vampire LARP, even a haunted attraction, Nox Arcana has the goods.  They also have a fantasy themed soundtrack, for those who want something for Pathfinder sessions.  Check out their website and listen to a couple tracks.

As an added bonus, I decided I wanted to post a Sonata Arctica video.  The video does fit the horror theme and the song kicks ass.  So enjoy some "Wolf and Raven."




Kaiser out

No comments:

Post a Comment