Tuesday, December 29, 2009

I Had No Idea Dark Void Was That Old

While I am eagerly awaiting the release of Dark Void on the 360, I found out a little piece of info on the game.  Namely, it was originally supposed to be an NES game.  I discovered this when Capcom announced that they are releasing the original, unreleased game for the DSi.

The game, renamed Dark Void Zero, is pretty much an 8-bit precursor to the current-gen version.  The game was originally created to fully utilize the arcade version of the NES, Play-Choice 10.  This arcade cabinet, which gave gamers a chance to play from a selection of 10 NES games, used two monitors, one stacked on top of the other.  The top screen was used to let players know the controls of the game as well as its objectives.  The original Dark Void was designed to use the top screen for in game menus, area maps, etc., meaning that it was sort of a precursor to a lot of adventure titles on the DS.  The game also pushed the limits of what was graphically possible on the NES.  Once they were almost finished with the game, Capcom got wind of the Super Nintendo and the fact that the Play-Choice 10 just was not very successful in arcades.  Dark Void was shelved indefinitely; even the archival material was damaged, making it one of those lost games that may have had some promise.

Around two decades later (First, Castlevania: The Adventure, now this game.  I'm beginning to notice a pattern, here.)  Capcom decides to use the idea for current-gen systems.  To mark the occasion, and to give gamers an opportunity to experience some lost video game history, the original game has been announced as a download for DSiWare.  From what I see on the video below, it kind of plays like Mega Man with jetpacks, which kind of reminds me of The Rocketeer NES game.

I've been thinking about getting a DSi one day.  If I do, I may have to try this game out.

Kaiser out

No comments:

Post a Comment