Thursday, May 21, 2009

Kaiser's Metal Moment - Black Sabbath's Dehumanizer

Here we go with another new segment. I've been putting more of a focus on video games recently, which isn't bad, but I don't want to neglect the other awesome things featured here, such as metal. So, every so often, I'm gonna showcase some of my favorite metal bands and albums. This is Kaiser's Metal Moment. If you remember a few weeks back, I mentioned that Heaven and Hell (the new name for Black Sabbath Mk II, fronted by Ronnie James Dio) released a new album, The Devil You Know. when I picked up the new album, I also grabbed Dehumanizer, which I've realized is my favorite Sabbath album (I'm gonna be controversial here, but I prefer the Dio years over Ozzy).Dio once said that this was Sabbath's most underrated album and, quite possibly, one of the most underrated albums ever made. Though it was better received than the albums released between it and Dio's last romp with Sabbath, Mob Rules, it still was largely ignored in the wake of the grunge movement of the '90s. This is, quite possibly, the darkest, heaviest of Sabbath's albums. The highlights of this album start with "Computer God," which, with the album cover, paints a dystopia that combines the Apocalypse with The Terminator. "After All (The Dead)" is a dark musing of the afterlife, with Vinnie Appice pounding a death march as Iommi and Butler lay down a stygian riff that grabs you by the legs and drags you six feet under. "TV Crimes" is a scathing romp about televangelist scams preying on the spritually deficient. "Master of Insanity," the only song penned by Geezer Butler alone (Dio had his hand in the writing of the rest of the album's lyrics), hearkens back to the songs of madness that permeated Sabbath albums of yore. The remastered CD contains two versions of "Time Machine." The extra version was taken from the re-recording for the Wayne's World soundtrack, which I find is the superior version, due to a more polished sound and much tighter and cohesive lyrics than the studio version. Then again I did grow up with the Wayne's World soundtrack, so I may be a bit biased about that. My favorite song on the album is simply called "I," a selfish and egotistical song that kicks all kinds of ass (I even consider it my personal theme song). It was said to be an album rife with difficulty, as Dio and Iommi struggled against each other on song writing, as well as Dio flat out refusing to have Sabbath open for Ozzy on his first "farewell" tour, due to their feuding. The band went their separate ways after the tour for the album with Dio and Appice going back to Dio's eponymous group. We know what happened after that. Despite the struggle that arose from the album, it is a great Sabbath album. If you area fan of Sabbath Mk II, or if you'd just like a really good metal album, Dehumanizer is a great recommendation. (This post was made, up to this point, with the utmost restraint, because reading all the dumbasses on the forums who think that think that Dio's a joke and Ozzy's the fucking king of metal makes me want to pull these guys' heads out of their asses. Dio is a legend in his own right and you're a fucking tool for thinking that Ozzy made Sabbath. Iommi and Butler have always been the driving force of the band and Ozzy was fired from the band for being an useless dopehead. Get used to it.) Kaiser out

No comments:

Post a Comment